Saturday, October 20, 2007

Whatsoever things are true

I just finished watching a documentary, 'God grew tired of us.' I want to call it good, but it wasn't...I cried a solid 10min at the beginning. I want to call it terrible, but it was true. It was the story of the lost boys of Sudan. It was heart wrenching, just another horrible thing that men do to others in the name of power, money and religion. In the beginning of the movie the show pictures of these boys as they walked from Sudan to Ethiopia... little boys, some just babies, 27,000 of them. Hunted, starving, scared and alone.
What must the heart of out heavenly father feel as He sees these things? If I being a self-centered person am moved and grieved, how much more is the loving creator? I think about how the Bible says that because man loved his sin, God gave him over to his own depravity. I also think of a popular thought in our society that says; mankind at its core is good, and if given the right conditions that goodness will come out. I think this is an idea that can only incubate in a society like ours, where we live in a comfortable prosperity...I think if you ask anyone who is victim to the many horrible things that have taken place in our lifetime they would tell you different.
When I see this kind of brutality, I see so clearly what the Bible is saying....and then I thank God for hope, for Jesus Christ. That we don't have to be subject to that depravity. I thank Him that this world isn't all that there is and that there will be a day when death, sorrow and sin will be done away with.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Tony and I watched this movie, too. We wanted to immediately watch it again but we couldn't.

One of the statements that has stayed with me is the thought that in our (American) society we seem to value privacy even at the expense that we become lonely. We tend not to reach out to strangers or invite people we don't know to our table. How can we ever expect to connect with others when we don't take these vital little risks.

I learned a lot from those lost boys...

Also...I miss you

AnnaMarlene said...

Crazy what goes on in this world isn't it...I miss you too! Whatever happened to our Saturday mornings...